New York City Board Of Education, New York, NY (September 2011 to March 2013)
- Developed and implemented standards-based curriculum for a full-day kindergarten class with 14 general education and 10 special education students.
- Co-taught lessons with a special education teacher and delegated responsibilities to a paraprofessional.
- Designed classroom with literacy-based learning centers using a Balanced Early Literacy Program.
- Prepared running records and assessed students’ literacy development.
- Utilized diverse instructional strategies including small group, guided, shared and read aloud activities.
- Introduced mathematics concepts using manipulative materials.
- Created science, social studies and art lessons focusing on hands-on and cooperative group learning.
- Modified curriculum to meet the needs of learning and emotionally disabled students with a variety of auditory and speech impairments.
- Established a structured classroom environment that provided students with the freedom of’ self-directed exploration.
- Instituted immediate positive reinforcement systems with incentives for student behavior and academic performance.
John T. White Early Childhood Center, Bronx, NY (September 2009 to September 2011)
- Taught two Classes of 15 to 20 culturally diverse, general education students in a pre-academic literacy based learning environment.
- Designed and conducted standards-based lessons that incorporated shared reading, phonemic awareness, invented spelling and dictated writing, creating literacy-based centers including an extensive lending library.
- Guided students in using child-created manipulatives to gain a fundamental grasp of mathematics concepts.
- Led class in hands-on science experiments.
- Designed thematic social studies units focusing on the family and neighborhood.
- Introduced Spanish language through bilingual literature and songs.
- Collaborated with NYU in implementing the Support for Early Literacy Assessment (SELA) program.
- Conducted workshops to encourage parents to become active partners in their children’s education.
- Educated parents on SELA program and daily literacy-based homework.
Holy Name Of Jesus School, Yonkers, NY (2004 to 2009)
- Instructed 24 students in full-day program, all content areas.
- Developed and implemented pre-academic curriculum focusing on reading, writing, mathematics, science and religion.
- Combined literature-based learning, with phonics and hands-on activities.
- Designed lessons to foster students’ development of socialization, fine and gross motor skills. Introduced students to basic Spanish conversational language skills.
- Created numerous individual and group projects integrating art into all curriculum areas.
Saint Francis Xavier School, Bronx, NY (2001 to 2004)
Third Grade Teacher
- Instructed self-contained class of 20 students in all academic areas.
- Prepared individualized curriculum for mathematics and reading remediation.
- Increased academic challenges through placement in accelerated reading groups.
- Taught Spanish to fifth through eighth grade students on a volunteer basis.
M.S. in Multicultural Education – Iona College, New Rochelle, NY
B.A. in Psychology / Spanish – College Of New Rochelle, New Rochelle, NY